Thursday, January 13, 2011

The most important job!


As you all know, I do not have any children (but I will one day! I will just declare that right now!), but I read parenting books and articles anyway!  I feel like it helps me plan and prepare to work with your children J  Right now, I am reading Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect your family to a wider community by Reggie Joiner and Carey Nieuwhof.  They both help to produce the Sunday School curriculum we are using at the church!  I recommend the book to all parents, or grandparents, or people like me, who don’t have kids yet but will one day!  You will find few things I want to highlight about the book below:

Encouragement for you to establish a lifestyle as a parent:

Widen the Circle…Invite others to invest in your children, so your sons and daughters have other voices that will help share and determine the direction of their lives.
Imagine the End…focus your energy and effort on the issues that will make a lasting impact.
Fight for the Heart…create a culture of unconditional love in your home to fuel the emotional and moral health of your children.
Create a Rhythm…tap into the power of quality moments together, and build a sense of purpose through your everyday experiences.
Make it Personal…Allow your kids to see how you strive to grow so they can understand how to confront their own limitations and pursue character and faith.

I want to be a resource, a help and someone who prays for you.  I pray that by the Spirit of God, you would know His love and know He has called you and equipped you for every good thing….especially to be a parent, which is the most important job you could EVER have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments! I will try to answer any questions and look forward to getting to know you more!