Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Bible and kids...

I am pretty passionate about the Word of God.  I believe kids can get a passion for it, too, and that's what we are doing in the ministry at my church this winter.  We are learning the books of the Bible, but more than that, we are memorizing Scripture together and learning why it is important to "Hide the Word" in our hearts.  It is sometimes a difficult concept to practice with kids...but it is important and they will get it!

Knowing God’s Word helps children to make wise decisions in their lives.  When they know Scripture and understand it, they know how to live by it.  The Bible says we are in the world, but not of the world.  We are set apart and different and holy.  There are a lot of things that speak into the lives of your kids and challenge a biblical world view.  I know we cannot stop every voice that speaks to the kids, but we can live our lives pointing to God’s Word.  The Bible should be the filter we should view the world through!  I pray that we can all discover the Word more this year!  I have challenged myself to read through the Bible and do a Bible Study every 6 weeks of 2011. 

This is what Jim Wideman says about the Word of God:
"Just like the church needs a biblical vision for reaching children, so does the family.  Have you ever asked God for what He wants for your family?  I realized that God designed the family to put His
Word into future generations.  So if God gives us the desires of our hearts, what is your desire and
goals for your children?  For me, I wanted our family to be close.  I wanted them to love the Lord with all
their heart and love the Word.  In fact, I wanted them to love the Bible so much that it was 
what they based every choice in their life on."

I love that and want my life to be like that...that I would love the Bible soo much that it is what I base every choice of my life on...I think the more kids see adults model this behavior, they will "get it" and know it is the "real deal"!!  

1 comment:

  1. Great points! I too read a bajillion books at a time and drink too much coffee! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments! I will try to answer any questions and look forward to getting to know you more!